[petsc-dev] workflow diagram

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Apr 30 14:29:15 CDT 2014

Peter Brune <prbrune at gmail.com> writes:
> I might beat 'em over the head with it.  Right now the color scheme is
> explained in the legend, but color differentiation is still very much
> branch-by-branch.  Having a big "M" in the middle of merge nodes to
> differentiate them further is what I might do.  This might be predicated on
> me being lazy with respect to reading the legend, but still I don't think
> that I was any more lazy than the average reader who might not already know
> our workflow. :)

I'm having trouble setting alignment to be able to place the M inside
the circles, but I get what you're saying.

> Other little formatting things I might do is vertically align branch
> merges that span multiple integration branches (for instance, the
> three merges from the bugfix branch).

These actually don't necessarily happen at the same time.  Merging to
'master' is still expected to happen after integration in 'next', and
the merge to 'maint' might not happen until some time is spent in
'master'.  Sometimes in "obvious" cases, one would skip steps.