[petsc-dev] spectral deferred correction (SDC) time stepper

Matthew Emmett memmett at gmail.com
Wed May 29 14:53:23 CDT 2013

Hello PETSc dev,

I'm working on an SDC time stepper to contribute to PETSc, and have made
decent progress so far.  Currently I am stuck on how to decide between
explicit only, implicit only, or IMEX based stepping.

Ideally I think it would be nice if the user could just add "-ts_type sdc"
and have the code figure out which SDC variant (explicit, implicit, or
imex) to use.  The trouble I am having is that a users RHSFunction can be
recast into implicit form by TSComputeIFunction if an implicit time-stepper
is used... which means that I can't just check whether RHSFunction has been
registered to switch between explicit only and implicit only.  Is there a
preferred way of doing this, or should I add another option to select which
SDC variant to use?

Thanks,
Matthew