[petsc-dev] Experimental GNU make build system

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 29 01:22:16 CDT 2013

On Tue, 28 May 2013, Jed Brown wrote:

> I force-pushed my own version of this (that works
> with-single-library=0).  The only difference in the overlap was use of
> FAST_AR_FLAGS vs AR_FLAGS.  Is that safe/correct in general when
> creating the entire archive in one shot, as opposed to incrementally?  I
> also delete the old archive if it existed, before running AR again.

Yes using AR_FLAGS looks correct.

FAST_AR_FLAGS was added because incremental 'ar' is ridiculously slow
on Mac. [and all-legacy relies on incremental update to the library]

Since the new builds [cmake/gmake/builder] will keep all .o files -
and do a single step library creation - we could eliminate
FAST_AR_FLAGS [when we eliminate all-legacy]

Satish