[petsc-dev] Experimental GNU make build system

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 23 18:48:14 CDT 2013

On Thu, 23 May 2013, Jed Brown wrote:

> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>
> > This issue is now fixed in cygwin dll [snapshot].
> >
> > http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-05/msg00342.html
> > http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-05/msg00348.html
>
> Does this mean we shouldn't bother with a work-around, or we should have
> configure test whether the bug exists and work around it only when
> necessary?

I guess we could workarround only when necessary. [We'll have to
change the check to be on cygwin version - but a new fixed version is
not yet released]

Configure currently has some conditional code on cygwin version.  With
gnumake - we could perhaps add similar check directly in the makefile :)

Satish
-------

def chkbrokencygwin():
  if os.path.exists('/usr/bin/cygcheck.exe'):
    buf = os.popen('/usr/bin/cygcheck.exe -c cygwin').read()
    if buf.find('1.5.11-1') > -1:
      print ' *** cygwin-1.5.11-1 detected. ./configure fails with this version ***'
      print ' *** Please upgrade to cygwin-1.5.12-1 or newer version. This can  ***'
      print ' *** be done by running cygwin-setup, selecting "next" all the way.***'
      sys.exit(3)
  return 0

Satish