[petsc-dev] release naming scheme

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 13 09:46:58 CDT 2013

On Sun, 12 May 2013, Jed Brown wrote:

> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>
> > Right now PETSC_VERSION_PATCH_DATE is automatically set when the
> > tarball is spun. [And we also have PETSC_VERSION_DATE_GIT - primarily
> > for configure.log]
> >
> > So your suggestion is to remove PETSC_VERSION_PATCH_DATE - and set
> > PETSC_VERSION_DATE [automatically during tarball creation]
>
> Yes, is there a reason not to do this?  Having two dates is more
> complexity and I don't see the benefit.

For now I'll change:
PETSC_VERSION_DATE -> PETSC_RELEASE_DATE
PETSC_VERSION_PATCH_DATE -> PETSC_VERSION_DATE

[and keep things as before.]. Too many changes before relese - and I'm not
sure what could be breaking.

> > Also - I see petscnagupgrade.py checks
> > http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-dev/include/petscversion.h for
> > latest release version info. So for the old versions [of petsc
> > petscnagupgrade.py] to work - we'll have to retain PETSC_VERSION_PATCH
> > [as you suggested]
>
> The commit below is in 'jed/nagupgrade-subminor'.  Since 3.4 will
> increase MINOR, the old script will still ask people to upgrade to 3.4.

Yeah bunch of scripts need fixing with the new version scheme.

> commit e9b81f52c562140219af174f5ca7d2825fc8b69f
> Author: Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov>
> Date:   Sun May 12 13:20:52 2013 -0500
>
>     nagupgrade: check subminor version and use distutils.version
>
>     Subminor version will be used for maintenance releases starting with the
>     3.4 series.
>
>     Version comparison is simpler with distutils.version.
>
> > BTW: before switching the scripts to handle the new version naming - I
> > created petsc-3.3-p7 tarballs with the current outstanding patches in
> > the maint branch [via balay/maint-3.3-p7 branch]. If its ok - it can
> > be merged into maint/master.
> >
> > ftp://ftp.mcs.anl.gov/pub/petsc/release-snapshots/petsc-3.3-p7.tar.gz
> > [web page isn't updated though]
>
> Sounds good to me.

ok merged to 'maint' and 'master'

Satish