[petsc-dev] petsc/petsc added -pc_use_amat option to PCSetFromOptions() (commit b9ee023)

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Mar 23 12:55:32 CDT 2013

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Shri <abhyshr at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>  I had added -pc_reuse specifically for use with fieldsplit since I wanted
> only a part of the preconditioner to be built only once, for e.g.
> -fieldsplit_0_pc_reuse. This would build the preconditioner for fieldsplit
> 0 only once. I had not added any API for it since it was meant to be
> experimental feature. If this feature is useful then I can add an API for
> it otherwise I can take it out.

If you want to give PCFieldSplit a "reuse" policy, then put the option in
fieldsplit.c and have it pass SAME_PRECONDITIONER to the inner
KSPSetFromOptions. I would also rather call this "lagging" (for consistency
with SNES) instead of "reuse".

Since "-pc_reuse" is only recognized by PCLU and is implemented in the
wrong place for generic use, I would like to delete it. (It's just a couple
lines.) Is that okay with you?