[petsc-dev] PTScotch 6

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 19 11:20:51 CDT 2013

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013, Jed Brown wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > > There is a new version of PTScotch. I tried configuring with
> > --download-ptscotch=
> > https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/31832/scotch_6.0.0_esmumps.tar.gz
> > >
> > > It works on Linux with the patch below (note the missing whitespace
> > should have been fixed in 3.3).
> >
> > Hm - so this part of the patch should go into 'maint' tree - and then
> > merged into 'next/master'? So we need 2 branches for applying this patch?
> > one that goes into 'maint' & 'next/master' - the other that goes into
> > 'next/master'?
> >

> No, we would apply the patch in 'maint' and merge the branch directly to
> 'next'. Later, we merge the same branch into 'maint'.

I don't understand this. you mean 'master' at the end? So you mean:
- create a 'patch' branch off 'maint' and apply this patch.
- merge this 'patch' branch to 'maint'
- merge this 'patch' branch to 'next'
- merge thsi 'patch' branch to 'master'

or something else?

> > [Will let the git experts comment on the workflow to use']
> >
> > I dont' unserstand the 'maint' branch. It has merges from 3.3 - so I
> > don't know if its eqivalent to petsc-3.3+bs-3.3 or not.  [ andI'm not
> > sure if we'll have another patch update to 3.3]
>

> It does not have merges from 3.3. It does have a merge from 3.2 because I
> applied .gitignore and the buildsystem import back to 3.2.

Sorry - I meant to say 'it has merges from 3.2' - so I'm not sure how
eqivalent it is to previous 3.3-petsc+3.3-bs - and if we should generate
patch updates for 3.3 from this or not.

Satish