[petsc-dev] PETSc port to OpenCL

Paul Mullowney paulm at txcorp.com
Wed Mar 13 15:43:21 CDT 2013

Hi Antoine,

I don't think one can claim that PETSc supports OpenCL right now.
However, I think progress has definitely been made in getting core
vector computations (for a Krylov algorithm) to run via OpenCL.

Karl, do you have any comment on this?

Once those are in place, it wouldn't be too difficult to get a prototype
matrix class into PETSc where the other core pieces of a solve, mainly
SpMV (and potentially the triangular solves) run on AMD devices.

The real question is, what algorithms does your customer want to run?
i.e. is it a KSP solve? What is the preconditioner? How big is the
system? Are multiple GPUs neeeded?

-Paul