[petsc-dev] PETSc repositories have been moved

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 16:01:24 CDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2013, at 3:42 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 12, 2013, at 2:52 PM, Karl Rupp <rupp at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Richard,
> > >
> > > Jed and I set up detailed instructions on how to use Git and Mercurial:
> > > https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/wiki/Home
> >
> >   Note that both Karl and Jed know git very well, so these pages will
> pretty much suck for new users.
> >
> > I agree. That is why its important that its a Wiki.
>
>    Because you perceive a Wiki as something that is very easy to change
> something in quickly.  I think in that sense Wikis are like PERL, it is
> very quick to put something together that looks powerful, but long term
> maintenance and general extension is impossible. Why not put all PETSc
> source code into the wiki then we can easily edit it without bothering with
> Emacs and shells?

I think Wikis are good because the build system is right there. No
monkeying with LaTeX+latex2html/Sphinx/DocBook/WhatEverCrazySystem. I can
see exactly what I put in right away, and so can everyone else. Its exactly
the same version control as the source, as Jed pointed out, and I have been
using them for other projects and its easy.

I think using one system for a manual (LaTeX) and one system for online
help (Wiki) is fine. In fact, the brain trust at PETSc Central
already does this since we have a FAQ and Function Manpages separate from
our manual.

   I am fine with putting that stuff there in the short term, but how about
> in the longer term having it as a subtree (subrepo?) in the petsc/src/docs/
>  directory?

Why would this be any different?

   Matt