[petsc-dev] All petsc-dev users will need to do a reclone of petsc-dev on Tuesday or later

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 14:43:09 CDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Karl Rupp <rupp at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Hi Sean,

>> developers webpage. I have already purged petsc-dev from my system and
>>>>

>>> Huh, why this? This is not forced change of religion...
>>>

>> Why should I bother? Everyone will listen to Jed anyway. Sorry about the
>> CUDA+cmake patches, by the way, those are gone now.
>>

> it will still be possible to work with Mercurial. The need for a
> new/better development model was also based on stability issues repeatedly
> raised by users at SIAM CSE, as you certainly remember.

My characterization of it is more that we adopted a particular piece of
technology because we thought
it was better architected and might in the future promise efficiency gains.
I don't think this will be any
more stable than everyone working in different clones for different
projects. The technology here is
lightweight branches, which is supposed to deliver efficiencies not
available to the multiple clone model.
We will see :)

   Matt