[petsc-dev] Commit collision/corruption?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 6 17:48:34 CST 2013

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> This is the clue that points to "commit" massaging/altering tools
> [like "rebase" - that I refer to and "gitifyhg" that Sean is pointing
> to] as the instigator. They don't do 'hg operation' on files - but do
> internal commit metadata manipulation - that can result in such
> "empty" diffs in commits.

Barry made that commit. He does not use rebase and does not use gitifyhg.

We may not have noticed it if I hadn't imported it through gitifyhg later,
but the original commit still appears to be messed up. There is no way for
gitifyhg to preserve sha1s for corrupt hg commits, we can only expoct to do
it for valid commits.