[petsc-dev] Commit collision/corruption?

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 6 17:44:09 CST 2013

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, Jed Brown wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Sean Farley <sean at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > This right here is the most suspect part. The minute you start monkeying
> > around with private functions and whatnot, you are in the danger zone. I
> > will have a hard time believing this isn't a bug in gitifyhg. In fact, I
> > am willing to bet on it.
> >

> This commit took place before anything else. Can you explain the
> zero-content files?

This is the clue that points to "commit" massaging/altering tools
[like "rebase" - that I refer to and "gitifyhg" that Sean is pointing
to] as the instigator. They don't do 'hg operation' on files - but do
internal commit metadata manipulation - that can result in such
"empty" diffs in commits.

Satish