[petsc-dev] meaning of PETSC_USE_EXTERN_CXX?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 5 21:59:13 CST 2013

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 9:05 PM, Sean Farley <sean at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> >> And this is why I think git makes things more complicated than need
> >> be.
> >>

> > By keeping remotes namespaced and having exactly one branching
> > mechanism?
>
> By not forcing any branching? All of what you have described so far can
> be accomplished, easily, with forking / pull-requests and the
> remote-branches extension today [1].

This does not appear to namespace the branches and it looks like you have
to edit .hg/hgrc for each remote that you want to track. It is quite
different from namespaced branches/bookmarks. I guess that's what you plan
to work on implementing.

> You can get even more fancy
> after Atlassian implements non-publishing repos.
>
> >>  > As I mentioned before, bookmarks in hg are much more in-your-face
> than
> >> git
> PETSc
> >>
> >> I disagree about them being in your face. I think you're making this
> >> workflow more complicated than need be.
> >>

> > To start with, 'hg log' shows you all bookmarks. The normal user
> following
> > petsc-dev will issue
> >
> > $ hg pull -u
> > $ hg log
> >
> > to see what is new. The fact that many normal commands show all the
> > bookmarks makes them disruptive. The ability to customize those commands
> or
> > modify them to restrict to the current bookmark is besides the point
> > because the default is overwhelming.
>
> See my above recommendation. You don't need bookmarks or anything else
> fancy. Just remote-branches, really.

Sounds like this has come back to the old argument that branches/bookmarks
aren't a useful feature and that separate clones should be used for
everything.

Barry pushing to his own fork was fine for this case, but I don't buy the
argument that clones are a viable replacement for branches. Even Mercurial
concluded as much by hg-1.6 when they added pushing and pulling bookmarks.