[petsc-dev] Internal and external symbols

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 5 21:15:18 CST 2013

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Sean Farley <sean at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Since mercurial was built on the concept of having a contiguous range of
> revisions, it took quite a bit of work to implement filtering which is
> what I was referring to (in git, this is accomplished by removing a
> ref). So, we are talking about different things.
>
> What you are asking for, it seems, is a log alias. If you only want the
> current branch / bookmark / fork, then 'hg log -G -r :.' where -G will
> give you the ascii graph. If you want a fancy one (with colors and
> branch names that aren't 'default' and bookmarks), then you can use the
> one I wrote:
>
> [alias]
> gll = log -G --pager=always
>  --template="{label('changeset.{phase}', rev)}:{label('changeset.{phase}',
> node|short)} {label('log.description',
> sub('{',r'\{',desc|firstline|strip))}
> {ifeq(branch,'default','',label('log.branch', '{branch} '))}{bookmarks %
> \"{label('log.bookmark', '{bookmark} ')}\"}{tags % \"{label('log.tag',
> '{tag} ')}\"}{label('log.date', date|shortdate)} by {label('log.user',
> author|person)}"
>
> and use it as 'hg gll -r :.' or again, make another alias,
>
> gl = gll -l 25 -r :.
>
> and use it as 'hg gl'. I have other useful aliases defined in my
> dotfiles repo:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/seanfarley/dotfiles/src/default/.hgrc#cl-188

I know you can write aliases to provide reasonable behavior, but this
doesn't help the new user. It seems like the Hg only option would be to
have one repo that contains only one head ('master' in git lingo) and
another repo that has all the topic branches and volatile integration
branches, with the expectation that any users pulling from the volatile
repo knows what they are doing. This is basically the situation we have now
with release and dev.

> Ok, we have different meanings for namespace. Yes, what you describe is
> exactly what I hope to accomplish with my revival of the remote-branches
> extension.

Cool, what will that interface look like?