[petsc-dev] meaning of PETSC_USE_EXTERN_CXX?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 5 20:31:14 CST 2013

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 8:09 PM, Sean Farley <sean at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> And this is why I think git makes things more complicated than need
> be.

By keeping remotes namespaced and having exactly one branching mechanism?

>  > As I mentioned before, bookmarks in hg are much more in-your-face than
> git
> > branches. Up until now, we have not allowed multiple heads in any PETSc
> > repositories. Can we do it without confusing people?
>
> I disagree about them being in your face. I think you're making this
> workflow more complicated than need be.

To start with, 'hg log' shows you all bookmarks. The normal user following
petsc-dev will issue

$ hg pull -u
$ hg log

to see what is new. The fact that many normal commands show all the
bookmarks makes them disruptive. The ability to customize those commands or
modify them to restrict to the current bookmark is besides the point
because the default is overwhelming.

>  As for having multiple heads, I wouldn't recommend that workflow for
> this group just yet.

Okay, so you're retracting your recommendation that Barry push on a
bookmark?