[petsc-dev] Deflated Krylov solvers for PETSc

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Mar 3 15:55:04 CST 2013

On Mar 3, 2013, at 12:52 AM, Jie Chen <jiechen at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Barry,
>
> Putting P_{A} either to the left or to the right of A means the same thing: we avoid touching the subspace spanned by W. This is why the orthogonality condition b-Ax_0 \perp W is needed. What the condition says is that the initial residual should have no components on W, presumably the troublesome part of A. Then in a Krylov method, all later residuals have no components on W. In other words, the part of the solution on the subspace W is already fully computed even in the 0-th step. Getting such an x_0 is not difficult; the difficult part is to define/compute W.

   Exactly.

> When one adds another preconditioner M to the system, presumably W should be the troublesome part of AM instead of A (I am always confused about the notation M and M^{-1} but it does not affect my reasoning here).

    The beauty of the composing precondition preconditioners approach is that if one has a good preconditioner for "part" of the solution space then all one needs is to find good preconditioners for the other "parts" of the solution space.  One doesn't need to worry about finding a good preconditioner for the troublesome part of AM, one only needs a good preconditioner for the part of the solution space that M does not handle well. Is it different for deflation?

  Barry