[petsc-dev] make -j not supported? Why???

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Mar 2 15:37:30 CST 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 8:18 PM, Karl Rupp <rupp at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> It is possible, but you cannot specify nvcc as CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER, but
> instead the script is doing some magic hackery replacing the C++-compiler
> with nvcc if the file extension is .cu.
>
> (I consider this to be a hack rather than a clean solution, but that's the
> status quo)

Yeah, we've discussed this a few times before. FindCUDA.cmake is a total
hack and it always looked to me like trying to use it would cause other
conflicts, but perhaps not.

CMake's stupid design does not let you add proper languages from
cmake-script, and since very few community members write C++ for CMake,
it's not surprising that it was hacked up in cmake-script. Now that the
hack exists, Kitware is using it as an excuse to not bother doing it right.