[petsc-dev] [petsc-maint] Who fucked up the repository?

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jun 15 20:31:08 CDT 2013

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 10:44 PM, Karl Rupp <rupp at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> > Did you try `git pull --tags` and/or `git fetch --tags`?
> >
> Yes, that worked. I cannot understand why this tag was different from all
> the others.

> >>         I get this every time I try to push a branch:
> >>
> >>         git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false push -v --tags origin knepley/pylith:knepley/pylith

Hm - any perticular reason for this complicated push command?
[so far I've just been using 'git checkout branch && git push']

Wrt the v3.4.1 tag - the following was a reply from Jed when I spun
the v3.4.1 tarball.

Satish

> Presumably we should start tagging the patch releases aswell?
> git tag v3.4.1

Yes, definitely tag them, but please use an annotated (or better yet,
signed) tag.  I just pushed a signed tag for v3.4.1 (which should
replace your lightweight tag).

Some tools, most notably, 'git describe' need an extra option to use
lightweight tags, probably because they are easy to add accidentally,
and there is no way to figure who did the tagging.  With annotated tags
(which can be signed), you have all that information.