[petsc-dev] Improving and stabilizing GPU support

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jul 20 13:49:46 CDT 2013

Karl Rupp <rupp at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> Jed gave me a good hint with respect to D-ILU0, which I'll also add to
> PETSc. As with other GPU-accelerations using ILU, it will require a
> proper matrix ordering to give good performance.

Well, factorization time is not the bottleneck in ILU(0) so there's not
much sense making the preconditioner weaker to get more parallelism in
that part.  It might be nice to have a CPU implementation just so we can
compare strength.

> I'm somewhat tempted to port the SA-AMG implementation in CUSP to
> OpenCL as well, but this certainly won't be in 1.5.0.

Rather than "porting" SACUSP to distributed memory, we are taking a
different approach: providing the matrix-matrix operations for use with
PCGAMG.