[petsc-dev] Improving and stabilizing GPU support

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 19 22:22:55 CDT 2013

Hi,

 > Do you know anything about nvamg?  My understanding is that it is an
Nvidia
> project that has not been advertised much and was used in some special apps
> like Ansys Fluent.

I was at a talk by an NVIDIA guy in May. It's an aggregation-based
algebraic multigrid scheme, using similar components like what is
implemented in CUSP. It will be a commercial product from NVIDIA (maybe
free or cheap academic licenses) using MPI on a small number of nodes,
primarily targeting widespread engineering software. The team consists
of about 5-10 members and is headed by Robert Strzodka if I remember
correctly, so they need to generate enough revenue to 'feed' them :-)

> Thanks for sharing your experiences.  I found the paper below earlier this
> evening when I revisited the ViennaCL web site and looked at the benchmark
> section.

Ah, I see. :-) Even though I spend some time on improving MIC
performance since these benchmarks were run, the overall trend remained
unchanged. I'm still hoping for a better OpenCL SDK for MIC from Intel...

Best regards,
Karli