[petsc-dev] make -j not supported? Why???

Tim Tautges tautges at engr.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 25 19:00:23 CST 2013

Ok, I may be going off experience with 3.1 or getting my env variables messed up.

Better error message for the make -j thing is definitely a plus.

The next problem: I'm trying to see the actual compile line used to build my source file, because an include file isn't
being found.  I'm sure this is something I'm missing, but it would be easier to diagnose if I could see the compile
command.  Any clues?

Thanks.

- tim

On 02/25/2013 04:49 PM, Barry Smith wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2013, at 2:30 PM, Tim Tautges <tautges at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
>> but why its need to not support otherwise-standard make options?  Similarly, PETSC_MAKE_STOP_ON_ERROR instead of
>> make -k?
>
> Hmm, with the cmake based build -k seems to work fine, it keeps on going compiling everything it can. Without the -k
> it stops when the first compile fails. So it is supporting the "otherwise-standard make options".
>
> Yes, the legacy build which is only a fallback for when cmake fails, is funky. Are you using it? If so, let us know
> why and we'll try to improve the cmake version so that you don't need the legacy; even I don't use it any more.
>
> Barry
>

>> - tim
>>
>> -- =============================================================> "You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind
>> is steadfast, because he trusts in you."               Isaiah 26:3
>>
>> Tim Tautges            Argonne National Laboratory (tautges at mcs.anl.gov)      (telecommuting from UW-Madison) phone
>> (gvoice): (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr. fax: (608) 263-4499      Madison, WI 53706

              Tim Tautges            Adjunct Professor, Engr. Physics
          (tautges at engr.wisc.edu)    University of Wisconsin-Madison
         gphone: (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr.
            fax: (608) 263-4499      Madison, WI 53706