[petsc-dev] Example cleanup

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 20:04:26 CST 2013

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 8:23 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 7:15 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> in preparation for real output checking there. They are

>>> different
>>>
>>>    The new values are no less valid than the old so just overwrite the
>>> old outputs.
>>

>> Okay, pushed.
>>

> The ex5 output changed here, for a justifiable reason, though the code got
> much messier to implement this change.
>

> https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc-dev/commits/4c6428f5d4f1623dc2ea08f9e0be167f2bcf9c69
>
> Tests output needs to be updated when an intentional change like this is
> made.

I completely agree. That is why I want to get to a believable state soon.
Then we have nightly
tests behaving like nightly builds. Breakage is fixed immediately.

> I didn't bisect for ex22 or ex58, but perhaps it's a similar issue.
>

>>  Next step, insert Python validator for output, possibly with more
>> structure.
>>

> What's your plan for implementing this?

My plan was to try the easiest thing I could think of first:

  a) Make a replacement monitor for SNES and KSP

      It would have a big honking sentinel before each solve and iterations
in Python array format

  b) Run a braindead Python parser over this which snips out the monitors

  c) Diff the monitor sections with a numerical tolerance

  d) Diff the whole thing, and throw out differences in the monitor
sections, since we know the line numbers.
      Maybe it would be easier to just remove those lines, but we need to
experiment a little.