[petsc-dev] Registration implicitly collective on COMM_WORLD

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Feb 4 23:01:27 CST 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this was a hack to begin with (and I did it), so calling the
> library loads up front does not bother me. I don't
> think anyone in the world is interested an a lightweight, partial PETSc.

I think this depends if (a) we ever develop an active plugin ecosystem and
(b) the memory per _process_ remains somewhat constraining. If a process
has only around 1GB, a couple unused plugins could eat up sizable chunks,
especially if implemented using templates. Since it's so much nicer to have
those "autoloads" available at run-time than to have to re-link, I think
there is a decent case for not killing late loading entirely.