[petsc-dev] Pushing non-working code

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Feb 3 11:20:14 CST 2013

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I did address. It would be great if people never pushed warnings. I try
> not to.

You push new warnings almost every day.

>> Pushing as a checkpointing mechanism discourages review.
>>

> Review should happend when the section is complete, but this is no way
> implies that you should not
> push until it is complete.

How do you identify what the feature is when it's in 10 commits
interspersed over 200 in the history. My claim is that you should make
those 10 commits on top of each other without merging (unless you need
something specific that was pushed to petsc-dev) and merge when it's
complete. Pushing to petsc-dev should _mean_ that it's ready for review.
This does not take more work.