[petsc-dev] Pushing non-working code

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Feb 3 11:09:44 CST 2013

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is not the current workflow that must be justified, but a mandatory
> change in that workflow. I don't think there is any
> evidence that it increases productivity, and quite a lot that it is rather
> marginal on that score while increasing development
> costs. I do not see any effect from these kind of pushes.

Or you see a positive effect because we fix your bugs. ;-D

Coherent development improves incremental readability, which encourages
code review and comprehension of bugs (questions like when was it
introduced and what is affected). Code review improves up-front quality,
but also maintainability.

> Code management is not just about doing what seems most logical and
> efficient to you, but imposing as little
> as possible on the developers and honestly evaluating the gains/losses to
> productivity of changes.

Can you quantify your productivity gains that come from pushing checkpoints
instead of waiting for a semantically meaningful point to merge and push?