[petsc-dev] Pushing non-working code

Anton Popov popov at uni-mainz.de
Sat Feb 2 18:34:15 CST 2013

On 2/3/13 12:44 AM, Jed Brown wrote:
> The other issue is that we work with applications that need to be able
> to rely on their PETSc being stable. If we can provide a 'dev' that is
> relatively stable, we can rapidly deliver new features, which
> encourages them to work more closely with us. If 'dev' is volatile,
> they will only use releases, in which case we have added close to a
> year of latency. I think that's bad.

Hi guys,
I have a related issue.

Have you ever tried to compile PETSc with -Wconversion option (or
similar) switched on?

I just tried it recently with our code, and it completely spammed
compiler output by the stuff originating from PETSc headers.
I find this option really useful, because it already helped me to find
truncated conversion bugs.
However, enormous volume of PETSc warning makes my job really tough to
find that couple of lines that my code triggers.
Yes, I know, there is grep, but I still want to use my IDE.

My best,
Anton