[petsc-dev] PetscSF vs. VecScatter

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 28 19:26:08 CDT 2013

Blaise A Bourdin <bourdin at lsu.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking at adding full support for exodus to DMPlex (input and output).
> Until I can understand better the nemesis format (a parallel extension of exodusII), my goal is to be able to scatter data back to cpu 0, re-use the pre-distribution ordering and use the sequential exo library.
>
> I can figure out how to do that using VecScatter but I am intrigued by PetscSF.
> Is there any documentation available, beside src/vec/is/sf/examples/tutorials/ex1.c?
> In particular a short description of the basic concepts would be helpful.

I think this document is still a fine intro.

http://59A2.org/files/StarForest.pdf

The SF code is much cleaner than VecScatter and it'll get support for
new MPI features.  I haven't run a systematic performance comparison,
but if SF can match VecScatter on all machines, we'll be able to start
retiring the (hairy) VecScatter implementation code and make it run over
SF.

DMPlex uses SF in a bunch of places, if you'd like more complicated
usage examples.