[petsc-dev] examples/benchmarks for weak and strong scaling exercise

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 11 12:46:03 CDT 2013

Chris Kees <cekees at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks a lot. I did a little example with the Bratu problem and posted it here:
>
> https://proteus.usace.army.mil/home/pub/17/
>
> I used boomeramg instead of geometric multigrid because I was getting
> an error with the options above:
>
> %mpiexec -np 4 ./ex5 -mx 129 -my 129 -Nx 2 -Ny 2 -pc_type mg -pc_mg_levels 2
> [0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
> ------------------------------------
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Argument out of range!
> [0]PETSC ERROR: New nonzero at (66,1) caused a malloc!
> [0]PETSC ERROR:

That test hard-codes evil things (presumably for testing purposes,
though maybe the functionality has been subsumed).  Please use
src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex5.c instead.

 mpiexec -n 4 ./ex5 -da_grid_x 65 -da_grid_y 65 -pc_type mg -log_summary -da_refine 1

Increase '-da_refine 1' to get higher resolution.  (This will increase
the number of MG levels used by PCMG.)

Switch '-da_refine 1' to '-snes_grid_sequence 1' if you want FMG, but
note that it's trickier to profile because proportionately more time is
spent in coarse levels (although the total solve time is lower).