[petsc-dev] PETSc factories 101 and 102

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 07:19:42 CDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 5:39 AM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> [...]
> means that my code that creates the SNES object and sets is various
> parameters has to explicit know how to create the J Mat object.  If I am
> using a complicated meshing package that generated some grid and is going
> to use finite elements to compute the Jacobian J I'd like the figuring out
> of the size and sparsity pattern of the J to be handled by the meshing
> package.  Thus I would make an implementation of the DM abstract class (say
> MattsDM) that does all this yucky figuring out. Then I could call
>
> DMCreateMatrix(dm,&J)   /* now my solver code sees nothing of the
> yuckyness of particular mesh details */
>
> and then pass the J to
>
> SNESSetJacobian(snes,J,J,func,ctx)
>
> Similarly I can do the same thing to create vectors.
>
> We can take this one step further. So far I've been assuming that the
> application programmer is explicitly creating the algebraic objects (Mats
> and Vecs) and passing them to the solver object.
>
> Once solver objects start getting complicated; for example with multigrid
> methods it is painful for the user to create ALL the vectors and matrices
> needed for the multiple levels and provide them all to PCMG (though it is
> possible and we provide interfaces for doing that).
>
> Instead we can create DMs that can generate appropriate sized vectors and
> matrices and give those DMs to the solver object and the solver then calls
> the methods to get new vectors and matrices wherever it needs them inside
> the solver.   PCMG would still need several DMs, one for each level. But
> rather than requiring the user to create these several DMs the user can
> create a single DM and the DM objects have methods in them that generate
> coarser or finer DMs that can be used to generate the vectors and matrices
> on the other levels.  This is why a simple call of SNESSetDM(snes,dm)
> allows the nonlinear and linear solver objects (including all the levels of
> multigrid) to create all their various needed vectors and matrices.
>
> When composing complicated solvers this approach can be extremely
> powerful, one can envision DMs being able to generate sub DMs that
> represent just pieces of the physics and using those DMs to generate the
> vectors and matrices for the solver associated with the sub physics (in
> PCFieldSplit). Thus we can generate all the algebraic pieces for very
> complicated nested solvers with multigrid inside fieldsplit and fieldsplit
> into multigrid etc for any number of levels with one simple paradigm.
>

> In conclusion, you can think of PETSc as having one important visible
> factory class the DM and then one factory completely transparent to the
> user for each abstract PETSc object: IS, Vec,Mat,KSP,SNES, and yes even DM.
> IMHO factories are a powerful and useful tool for large libraries but they
> should be used sparingly and most of them though thoughtful design need
> never be seen the users (because if seen by the users that steepens the

I have written up a discussion of 101 for the Encyclopedia of Programming
Languages (Hans Petter is editing), which is attached. We
should certainly write up 102 since it is more interesting.

I think DMCreateSubDM() is fine for field pieces, but we need some way of
doing domain pieces, and so far I don't like any of the suggestions.

   Matt