[petsc-dev] migrating repos from petsc.cs.iit.edu to bitbucket.org

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Nov 17 10:07:25 CST 2012

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012, Satish Balay wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Nov 2012, Barry Smith wrote:
>

> > On Nov 16, 2012, at 3:45 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> >
> > > I think we could nicely do petsc-dev, petsc-release, and one buildsystem managed as a subrepo.
> >
> >    I'm willing to try this.
>
> So how do we proceed with it?
>
> - commit buildsystem as subrepo of petsc-release
> - reset petsc-release/config/BuildSystem to point to bitbucket/buildsystem
> - remove 'auto-clone buildsystem code from petsc-release
> - fixup tarball generation code to work with subrepos
> - merge with petsc-dev
> - abandon buildsystem-release?
> [more cleanup in petsc-dev]
> - rename BuildSystem -> buildsystem in petsc-dev only?
>
> Do we make sure all commiters to petsc-release have the latest
> mercurial? [even subrepo behavior can be different with older
> mercurial versions..]
>
> And the workflow for release patches.
>
> - *never do* pull or update in petsc-release/config/BuildSystem
> - commit change to petc-release [even if the change is in petsc-release/config/BuildSystem]
> - push petsc-release to bitbucket [but the subrepo buildsystem push will fail?]
> - merge petsc-release to petsc-dev
> - [how does one merge petsc-release/BuildSystem*release-head* to petsc-dev/buildsystem-*head*?]
> - push petsc-dev to bitbucket [this should also push petsc-dev/config/buildsystem with
>   all changes to bitbucket?]

Also how do we handle the following senario:

with the current workflow - the following cold happen:

- I fix something to buildsystem-release and push
- Barry fixes something [with old buildsystem-release] and attempts to push - but
  push fails.
- So Barry does a 'pull; merge; push' on buildsystem-release

[at some point] either Barry or I can do buildsystem-release ->
buildsystem-dev merge [once or multiple times]

With subrepo what would be the workflow?

Satish