[petsc-dev] migrating repos from petsc.cs.iit.edu to bitbucket.org

Sean Farley sean at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Nov 17 00:35:16 CST 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> Agreed, but git got branches right the first time (stable within weeks or
> months of mkdir)

Cool.

> and hg has had many years to just copy, yet the feature
> still has odd quirks. Hopefully it will get better now that the devs are
> finally using it themselves, but I foresee a long road unless they give up
> on their different for the sake of being different.

1) hg is all volunteer time; feel free to submit your patches

2) hg copied (first, by the way) the branching model that was
established previously: subversion. Git was the first to do things
different with its branching model.

You can complain all you want but you should only expect changes after
submitting patches.