[petsc-dev] PetscSection

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Nov 10 13:54:25 CST 2012

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I agree that they are different geometrically, and in PyLith we
> make Labels to
> distinguish, which I think is the right way.

Cool. Of course you have to create the labels somehow. Do you currently
make labels for all the "sidesets" in the mesh you load (e.g., from exodus)?

Labels in their current form seem to do two things (denote sets and
associate values with points in those sets). Don't you frequently want one
or the other?

> > Fine, I care much more about conceptual simplicity in the interface. I
> think
> > adoption will be higher if 95% of users don't see the word "stratum".
>
> Note that this will have to be set explicitly somehow, since you cannot
> "tell"
> from the DAG that something has a given dimension/co-dim.

Are your points not sorted by dimension? (Most of the code I've seen in the
examples assumes homogeneous strata.)