[petsc-dev] PetscSection

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Nov 10 13:33:57 CST 2012

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not understand. Codim 0 and 1 are handled in an identical way.

The user doesn't do the same thing with them. Your data structure treats
them the same way (though I'm not sure how you distinguish between a tet
and a quad if both are "height 0" and you don't store intermediate levels),
but that seems like an implementation detail to me.

> I am not against some convenience interface for dim/co-dim, however it
> would
> just be implemented by making a label, since we have many equivalent
> structural
> things which would map to it.

Fine, I care much more about conceptual simplicity in the interface. I
think adoption will be higher if 95% of users don't see the word "stratum".