[petsc-dev] ctetgen into its own repository

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 25 16:12:46 CDT 2012

On May 25, 2012, at 4:02 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
>    Because of the tetgen license we cannot include ctetgen directly in the PETSc tarball.  Thus we have forked it off into its own repository and it is available for users as --download-ctetgen   Developers may choose to hg clone the repository directly into petsc-dev/externalpackages if they have any need to work on the ctetgen source code.
>
> How can the fucking license say that we cannot include ASCII code is our goddamn release. What if I
> take a picture of the code and include the JPG? I already put in a configure option to turn it on. This is
> ridiculous. Are you sure that we can include the letter P. I think Sesame Street has rights to that.

  Sarcastic answer:

   I broke into Microsoft headquarters last week and took a copy of the Windows 8 source code. As a convenience to some of our users I have added it to the PETSc source code tree and it will be included in the future releases.

  Unsarcastic answer:

  Yes we can include ctetgen in our release but then we need to change our license to be much more restrictive (non-MIT etc) which we do not want. The tetgen license doesn't say anything about allowing it under more general license  if the compiling of it is "optional"

   Barry