[petsc-dev] PetscLogView vs. -log_summary

Blaise Bourdin bourdin at lsu.edu
Thu Jun 21 15:08:19 CDT 2012

On Jun 21, 2012, at 2:55 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Blaise Bourdin <bourdin at math.lsu.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> PetscLogView does not display the same amount of information as running with -log_summary. In the "summary of stages" section, the former contains only information on the main stage while the later contains much more.
>
> Add the following block at the end of src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex1.c, for instance, to see what I mean
>  PetscViewer viewer;
>  ierr = PetscViewerASCIIOpen(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,"ex1-log.py",&viewer);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>  ierr = PetscLogViewPython(viewer);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>  ierr = PetscViewerDestroy(&viewer);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>  ierr = PetscViewerASCIIOpen(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,"ex1-log.txt",&viewer);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>  ierr = PetscLogView(viewer);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>  ierr = PetscViewerDestroy(&viewer);CHKERRQ(ierr);
>  ierr = PetscLogPrintDetailed(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,"ex1-logdetailed.txt");CHKERRQ(ierr);
>
> Is this a bug or a feature? Is there a way to get the same output as -log_summary in a file, without printing it to stdout?
>
> -log_summary just calls PetscLogView(). I am not sure how there could be a problem. I will run it. However, can you
> just use
>
>   -log_summary <filename>

That works, yes. Is the issue that stages / events need to be activated a priori, which is not possible when PetscLogView is only called at the end of the program?

The caveat is that I am assuming that when using log_summary, the log is written as part of PetscFinalize, so that if a job is killed by the sceduler or the user, there is no way to get an idea of the performances. I like to print the log every so often.

Blaise

--
Department of Mathematics and Center for Computation & Technology
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA