[petsc-dev] Fwd: [petsc-maint #119133] petsc-dev configure crash

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 7 15:39:19 CDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> >  subrepository sources for config/BuildSystem differ
> > use (l)ocal source (eadaa286b5ca) or (r)emote source (6ab6f1ae4aff)?
>
> Ok  - I have to choose 'r' here for what I want [wrt diff/auto-merge].
>
> [balay at maverick petsc-buildsystem-dev]$ hg stat -S
> M .hgsubstate
> M config/BuildSystem/config/packages/BlasLapack.py
> M config/examples/asterix/asterix64.py
> [balay at maverick petsc-buildsystem-dev]$
>
> But for some reason '.hgsubstate' is not updated [to correspond to 'hg
> pull -u' version].

Had you changed the .hgsub?

In any case, the right solution when there is a conflict in BuildSystem is
always to go into BuildSystem and resolve it (by merging or rebasing), then
commit the result to the petsc repository.

As for the (now long past) request for implicitly tracking the latest
versions of subrepos, this quote from Matt Mackall is apropos.

*We're always telling people "no, subrepos are NOT for automatically
getting the latest versions of other projects, that's not Version Control™"*