[petsc-dev] Fwd: [petsc-maint #119133] petsc-dev configure crash

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 6 23:00:39 CDT 2012

On Jun 6, 2012, at 9:42 PM, Satish Balay wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Barry Smith wrote:
>
>>   Satish,
>>
>>     You will not just "recheck this". Please setup the petsc-buildsystem-dev test repository so EVERYONE can test it and make sure there are no kinks.
>
> Added.
>
> ssh://petsc@petsc.cs.iit.edu//home/petsc/petsc-buildsystem-dev

   Thanks

barry-smiths-macbook-pro:petsc-buildsystem-dev barrysmith$ hg commit
abort: uncommitted changes in subrepo config/BuildSystem
(use --subrepos for recursive commit)

This is good.

I don't like the fact that running hg in the subrepo only affects that subrepo (because I generally just run hg in whatever strange place I am and assume it is going to do the right thing). I think running it in that subrepo directory should behave the same as outside it. For example

If I do

barry-smiths-macbook-pro:petsc-buildsystem-dev barrysmith$ cd config/BuildSystem/
barry-smiths-macbook-pro:BuildSystem barrysmith$ touch joe
barry-smiths-macbook-pro:BuildSystem barrysmith$ hg add joe
adding joe
barry-smiths-macbook-pro:BuildSystem barrysmith$ hg commit
joe
committed changeset 2830:03ab1f7aeb3a
barry-smiths-macbook-pro:BuildSystem barrysmith$ hg push
pushing to ssh://petsc@petsc.cs.iit.edu//home/petsc/BuildSystem-subrepo
running ssh petsc at petsc.cs.iit.edu 'hg -R /home/petsc/BuildSystem-subrepo serve --stdio'
searching for changes
1 changesets found
remote: adding changesets
remote: adding manifests
remote: adding file changes
remote: added 1 changesets with 1 changes to 1 files

or instead do this

barry-smiths-macbook-pro:BuildSystem barrysmith$ cd ..
barry-smiths-macbook-pro:config barrysmith$ touch BuildSystem/jeff
barry-smiths-macbook-pro:config barrysmith$ hg add BuildSystem/jeff
adding BuildSystem/jeff
barry-smiths-macbook-pro:config barrysmith$ hg commit
abort: uncommitted changes in subrepo config/BuildSystem
(use --subrepos for recursive commit)
barry-smiths-macbook-pro:config barrysmith$ hg commit -S
committing subrepository config/BuildSystem
jeff
.hgsubstate
committed changeset 23600:007d9928edc8
barry-smiths-macbook-pro:config barrysmith$ hg push
pushing to ssh://petsc@petsc.cs.iit.edu//home/petsc/petsc-buildsystem-dev
running ssh petsc at petsc.cs.iit.edu 'hg -R /home/petsc/petsc-buildsystem-dev serve --stdio'
pushing subrepo config/BuildSystem to ssh://petsc@petsc.cs.iit.edu//home/petsc/BuildSystem-subrepo
running ssh petsc at petsc.cs.iit.edu 'hg -R /home/petsc/BuildSystem-subrepo serve --stdio'
searching for changes
1 changesets found
remote: adding changesets
remote: adding manifests
remote: adding file changes
remote: added 1 changesets with 1 changes to 1 files
searching for changes
1 changesets found
remote: adding changesets
remote: adding manifests
remote: adding file changes
remote: added 1 changesets with 1 changes to 1 files

and then take a week vacation.     In the first case if someone else does hg pull in the the petsc-dev they don't get my joe file (which may be like totally needed now to use PETSc) they get all pissed off and send me email that I don't answer for a week. (Yes they could go into BuildSystem and pull but they won't think to do that).

  Am I missing understanding something. Any option in hg to get hg commands inside the subrepo behave like ones on the outside?

   Barry