[petsc-dev] Jack has produced a scalable sparse direct solver

Hong Zhang hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jul 23 11:53:30 CDT 2012

Jack:

> I'm getting started on creating documentation right now; it should end up
> looking very similar to Elemental's.

The detailed instruction will be very helpful, especially
the sparse matrix data structures. Notify us when the documentation is out.
Is this a sparse Cholesky direct solver?
Currently, only mumps supports parallel sparse Cholesky direct solver.
Yours will be a good addition to the petsc external solvers.

> Please keep in mind that there is not _yet_ any support for pivoting, as I
> needed Clique's functionality for indefinite complex symmetric matrices
> which are nice enough to be factored accurately without pivoting.

Petsc users likely use it as a preconditioner.
In case of zero pivot, you may provide a routine/option for adding a small
shift?

> Clique's nested dissection is built on top of a nodal graph bisection
> routine which uses a custom interface to parmetis; I suspect that the graph
> partitioning is currently the least scalable part of the black-box
> interface due to KLFM refinement being so hard to parallelize.

Xuan has almost finished the petsc-elemental interface
(see petsc-dev/src/mat/impls/elemental/).
We would appreciate if you can take a look at it and give us
your comments/suggests.

Hong