[petsc-dev] Fwd: [petsc-maint #124771] bug report

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 19 17:38:31 CDT 2012

On Jul 19, 2012, at 5:28 PM, Satish Balay wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012, Jed Brown wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>

>>>   Satish,
>>>
>>>     Is there anyway to change the configuration of petsc-maint so that
>>> when developers respond it doesn't go directly to the user but instead goes
>>> back to the petsc-maint server, it strips out the individual developers
>>> email address and then forwards on to the user?
>>>

>> We would have to configure our mailers to set reply-to appropriately.
>
> This is what I do for myself [with pine]

   Doesn't solve the problem because the user still has in their header the developers email address.

>> Alternative would be for petsc-maint to remove the user's email from
>> reply-to when it delivers to us, then match message headers so that our
>> replies which go only to petsc-maint would be forwarded to the original
>> reporter. Seems very fragile.

    That is what it should do. Nothing fragile about it. Not hard shit.

> I agree it can be fragile.
>
> For one - I'll have to check with systems if rt can be configured this
> way.  Also it would mean sender's info won't be in the header [so
> where would it be?]

    Could add it to the message or subject

> What about 'cc:' list from sender? [we would wan't
> rt to strip this out aswell - and send e-mails to the cc:list
> automaticaly from our replies].

    Would strip those and handle in the same way as the users email.

> And then there will be no more private
> messages [between us] on petsc-maint :)

    Why? petsc-maint server will always bounce everything sent to it back to the developers.

   Barry