[petsc-dev] Fwd: [petsc-maint #124771] bug report

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 19 17:36:51 CDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> This is what I do for myself [with pine]

Yeah, the problem is that some sending servers only allow you to set
specific reply-to addresses. The biggest concern is gmail which only allows
one person in all of gmail to have added petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov as "one of
their accounts". That person is Matt, so he sends mail as "Matt Knepley <
petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov>".

> > Alternative would be for petsc-maint to remove the user's email from
> > reply-to when it delivers to us, then match message headers so that our
> > replies which go only to petsc-maint would be forwarded to the original
> > reporter. Seems very fragile.
>
> I agree it can be fragile.
>
> For one - I'll have to check with systems if rt can be configured this
> way.  Also it would mean sender's info won't be in the header [so
> where would it be?] What about 'cc:' list from sender? [we would wan't
> rt to strip this out aswell - and send e-mails to the cc:list
> automaticaly from our replies]. And then there will be no more private
> messages [between us] on petsc-maint :)

I think it's too dangerous at this point. We had discussions earlier about
an email-integrated issue tracker, at which point this would be feasible.