[petsc-dev] Problematic Merge of FieldSplit

Dmitry Karpeev karpeev at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 10 03:43:54 CDT 2012

I have a couple of questions about the usage DMGetSubDM() to define the
splits:
1) Should this be DMGetFieldSubDM(), since I can imagine other types of
subDMs (e.g., for a DD subdomain)?
In fact, I would advocate something like DMGetFieldSplitSubDM(), because
term "field" is getting abused and means
both an elementary building block with a split defined by DMGetSubDM()
composed of several such fields and the split itself.
2) Why not refer to the fields by string names?  A DM could advertise its
available fields via DMGetFieldNames() or similar,
with default field names such as "0", "1", etc.  DMGetFieldSplitSubDM()
would take a list of string constants from the list returned
by DMGetFieldNames().

This can be implemented independently of DMGetSubDM() to allow both designs
to evolve to the point where they can be merged.

Dmitry.