[petsc-dev] hdf5.py is messed up

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 10:39:05 CST 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:22, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Notice that this patch is "versioned in a repo".
>>

> Well, not in a form that you can edit or re-apply to new versions from
> upstream.

Not sure what you mean. The raw diff text is right there. Needing it to be
in its own
file is so 20th century.

>>> 2. From current experience direct link to external sites is not
>>> necessarily superior. [still preferable - but not really
>>> superior]. More points of failure [when compared to a single download
>>> site]. Also there are python problems  with https:// sites with proxy
>>>

>> The problems seem to stem from weird DOE configurations :)
>>

> Dearest Matt, my computer runs OS/2 Warp 4 and is only connected to the
> internets by IPoAC (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1149) to a Macintosh
> SE/30 proxy running System 6 and an AppleTalk network to an AIX 2.2 router.
> I tried to install PETSc, but it didn't work. Why not?

I work at a secure installation in an inhospitable part of the US,
abandoned by sane people. In order to guard our work
product, we write out all input in longhand on legal pads, and then it is
typed into a terminal by the former file clerk who
has become Head of IT since we cannot fire him. Thus, I cannot see what
happens when I type commands. What should
I do?