[petsc-dev] New Webpage Format

Sean Farley sean at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jan 13 16:59:01 CST 2012

This is just a heads up for people that use a WYSIWYG html editor that I
have pushed a clean-up of the PETSc website code. These changes were
needed, in my opinion, so that the few of us that read incoming changesets
from petsc-dev can now *easily* see what exactly changed. On top of that,
this fixed a lot of html 4 (and 5) errors due to buggy compliance in these
WYSIWYG editors. People will probably most immediately notice a uniform
look (due to a common style.css) across all pages on the website.

That being said, the required method of editing webpages is through emacs
or vim[1] (or whatever your text editor of choice is). Added new sections,
packages, faqs, etc. should be extremely straight-forward since it should
at most be a copy+paste of the current format.

Since this is such a huge change, please make sure to check for working
links, typos, etc. I ran a html validator and most of the code is clean
except for the whole <!--begin-->/<!--end--> business with the
update-docs.py script. There is certainly room for improvement (such as
having a menu.html for the sidebar)

More information (copied from the biggest changest):

Updated most of the webpages to use clean, clear, and concise HTML.

- This means fixing a lot of HTML4 errors in favor of HTML5 standards
- Updated when possible to use standard CSS3
- Fixed the webpage documentation for changes
- Cleaned up petsc-patches.html
- Cleaned up miscellaneous and publication files in each directory
- External packages webpage updated
- Fixed tilde in external.html
- Cleaned up the developers folder
- Renamed 'Development Changes' to just 'Changes'. This makes the links
easier to read
- Fixed 'Download' link in developers website subdirectory
- Changed <strong> to <b>
- Cleaned up <!--begin--> / <!--end--> tag matching
- Reformatted spacing and joined lines where convenient
- Fixed up linearsolvertable
- Added linearsolvertable to the sidebar
- Ran tidy on website/documentation. This cleans up anchor tags (#name),
<li> tags, and getting rid of the <small> tag
- Cleaned up white space, more anchor tags (#name), and nested <li>s
- Added summary to html tables
- Removed empty code blocks
- Removed extra <meta> data and changed all to utf8
- Made uniform the anchor tag capitalization and removed characters not
supported
- Changed the <!--begin--> / <!--end--> tags to only wrap the title and not
the tags

[1] - I used the surround.vim plugin by Tim Pope to quickly rename, add,
and remove html tags. I'm sure something like this exists in emacs but
didn't easily find one. If someone knows of something similar, let me know.