[petsc-dev] SNES, Coloring, DM, and TS

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 11:03:16 CST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:40, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Right now, DMs wrap up
>>  - Domain Topology
>>
>  - Domain Geometry
>>

> These are nowhere in the DM interface.

So you think this has nothing to do with
  - Refinement/coarsening
  - Local evaluation
  - Partitioning
It is all implied, and in fact only really works completely for Cartesian
stuff.

>>  - Modeling approximation (like function spaces, projectors)
>>

> This is only in the DM interface through coarsening and interpolation.

You also need to know this to piece together local evaluations.

 - Modeling equations (including decompositions, variable substitutions)

> This is only in the DM interface with collective semantics. (For nonlinear
> ASM, I would be in favor of getting a subdomain DM which would have
> collective semantics on the subcommunicator instead of putting "local"
> evaluation into the public interface.)

The equations are there explicitly in all these function pointers it is
holding. What are you talking about?

   Matt