[petsc-dev] SNES, Coloring, DM, and TS

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 28 10:45:50 CST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:40, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Right now, DMs wrap up
>  - Domain Topology

 - Domain Geometry

These are nowhere in the DM interface.

>  - Modeling approximation (like function spaces, projectors)

This is only in the DM interface through coarsening and interpolation.

>  - Modeling equations (including decompositions, variable substitutions)

This is only in the DM interface with collective semantics. (For nonlinear
ASM, I would be in favor of getting a subdomain DM which would have
collective semantics on the subcommunicator instead of putting "local"
evaluation into the public interface.)

> and I may have forgotten some stuff. That is a huge amount of crap for one
> object.

You seem to be confusing the DM interface from a particular way of packing
data into an implementation of DM.