[petsc-dev] DMComplex and PCFieldSplit

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 24 14:39:03 CST 2012

On Feb 24, 2012, at 2:23 PM, Jed Brown wrote:

> We need a richer field interface. Some way for a client of DM to discover vector and tensor structure.

   No idea what a tensor is, but DMGetSubDMS(dm,PetscInt *cnt,IS *ises,DM *dms);   and DMPushSubDMType(DM,"name of a type of splitting like u,v,p or velocity,p"); DMPopSubDMType(); and DMGetAvailableSubDMTypes(DM,char **);

  Do you need more than that?

    Barry

Note that current DMDA's default subdms served up would be a DM for each field consisting of one of the degrees of freedom per node and it could also serve up  DMs that represent any collections of those for example dof 0 and 1 per node, then dof 2 per node. We'll need to come up with some naming convention for these.