[petsc-dev] BuildSystem clean-up

Sean Farley sean at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 24 11:09:19 CST 2012

> The assumption was that each external package had an appropriate clean
> that would be called by the XXXX.py BEFORE doing a build to clean it up;
> this did require each XXXX.py knowing how to call the clean and doing this.
>  Clearly this assumption was wilding optimistic.

Way too optimistic.

> The draw back to having buildsystem (note the lack of caps) doing the
> clean AFTER doing the building is important generated stuff useful for
> debugging may be lost. So what about doing the clean out of that directory
> at the beginning, not at the end?

Actually, I was advocating cleaning it out at the beginning but in
packages.py it doesn't seem easy to tell if self.installNeeded is set yet.
Do we just blindly blow away this directory? Or should we (Matt) define a
preInstall concept?

How buildsystem knowns if the package should be rebuilt is NOT stored in
> that directory so making your change should not affect the current somewhat
> "smart" build again only if needed logic.

Righto.