[petsc-dev] petsc-dev on bitbucket

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 10 11:50:56 CST 2012

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012, Jed Brown wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 11:30, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 10, 2012, at 11:26 AM, Jed Brown wrote:
> >
> > > One other point is integrated issue tracking. If someone makes a feature
> > request, we currently manage it purely by not losing the email. With
> > bitbucket issues, users can "follow" issues so when we include "closes
> > #123" (and other status updates) in a commit message, interested users get
> > notified. I know we try to fix all bugs and "good" feature requests within
> > the hour, but there are topics that take longer. projects.html isn't an
> > optimal solution.
> >
> >   Like Barry is ever going to remember to write closes #123 in a commit
> > message :-(
>

> The rest of us that read the commit logs can still mark the issue as closed
> afterward (so people following it get notified).

this feature is fine by me. Folks interested in this can use it. and
not everyone is compelled to use it. I guess this is the general thing
with DVCS - any individual can use the advanced hg features to improve
their workflow - but keeping the requirement on the group minimail..

On the related note - I believe one of the new hg releases has some improved
support for rebase - so its now safer [provided the right version is used].
i.e if the change was aready pushed - it warns not to rebase. I haven't
tried this feature though..

Satish