[petsc-dev] petsc-dev on bitbucket

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 10 10:08:04 CST 2012

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> > until we move to bitbucket - can you continue to push to petsc.cs.iit
> > - and not bitbucket? [for now - pushes to petsc.cs.iit are
> > automatically pushed to bitbucket]
> >

> I thought we were switched already :) I cannot understand why we would not
> give up this maintenance burden (and directories is not a good enough
> reason).

For my part - I generally don't like the way the change is pushed.

- one prblem => suggest change to a new system [not evaluating all the
features we currently have vs what we loose]

- and I really get annoyed when a problem is pointed out with the new
sytem - and the solution to that is: the current model is workng - but
antique - lets change it to fix for this new system we are pusing

Wrt current admin overhead - its not that much. Most of the work is
adding new users [not modifying user keys]. This part of admin work
will is exist with bitbucket.

The other systrem admin part is not much. Jsut reboot the machine when
there is a kernel update.

Also the reliability aspect of such sites is also verblown. I'm sure
some of them had their outages. [maybe not bit bucket - but some of
them do].

Satish