[petsc-dev] petsc-dev on bitbucket

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 09:13:58 CST 2012

The thread has become too deep for me to read, hence the top posting.

Barry's question is the right one: What do we gain by changing?

  1) Reliability and Availability

   Barry, you should know that this crap about petsc.cs being backed up is
farcical. We
   would have the same situation we had with the first 10 years of PETSc
history again.
   BB is definitely more reliable in terms of backups, uptime, and
connectivity (SSH issues).

   2) Better management support

   The infrastructure for supporting user permissions is better on BB. We
don't edit a file,
    calling a script someone hacked together. We have accounts, and when
accounts are
    shut down they go away. A user can manage his SSH key independently of
us.

Those for me make it a slam dunk. However, I will ask the question in
reverse: What do we
give up? I think the only thing we give up is the security blanket of being
able to log in
ourselves and mess with a machine directly.

    Matt